ClamWin Free Antivirus Configuration Guide
ClamWin is a free (as in free beer) antivirus program
for Windows. It is open source and is licensed under the GNU General
Public License of the Free Software Foundation.
ClamWin includes a scanning scheduler, an automatic
virus definition database updater, and a standalone virus scanner. It
can, likewise, be integrated with Microsoft Windows Explorer and
Microsoft Outlook. It does not, however, have an on-access scanning or
real-time scanning feature.
Step 1. Install ClamWin Free Antivirus Program
- Dowload the latest ClamWin installer. The lastest version
- Run the ClamWin installer.
- The ClamWin Antivirus Setup Wizard pops up. Click Next.
- The License Agreement window opens. Select the I
accept the agreement radio button. Click Next.
- The Select Installation Options window opens. Select the
Anyone who uses this computer (all users) radio button. Click
- The Select Destination Location window opens. Click
- The Select Components window opens. Select the
Integration with Windows Explorer and Integration with
Microsoft Outlook check boxes. Click Next.
- The Select Start Menu Folder window opens.
- The Select Additional Tasks window opens. Deselect the
Download Virus Database Files. (Do Not Select if you connect via a
Proxy Server) check box. Click Next.
Step 2: Configure Proxy Settings
- The Ready to Install window opens. Click
- ClamWin installation may take a few minutes. Click Finish.
- Click the Proxy tab
- Fill up the fields as follows and click OK: Proxy
Step 3: Configure Automatic Virus Updates
- Launch the ClamWin antivirus program.
- Click Tools -> Preferences
- Click the Internet Updates tab.
- Select the Enable Automatic Virus Database Updates check
- Fill up the fields as follows: Download Site:
Update Frequency: Daily
Time: 03:00 PM
Step 4: Update The Virus Database
- Select the Update Virus Database On Logon check
- Click OK.
Step 5 (Recommended): Configure Virus Scan
- Click Tools -> Download Virus Database Update
- Or simply click on the Update
icon. Once completed, click Close.
- You can now scan your hard drives and folders for infected
files. Click Scan.
- Click the Scheduled Scans tab
- Click Add
- In the Schedule section, type in the following:
Scanning Frequency: Daily
Time: 09:00:00 AM
- In the Scan Folder field, Click on the drop down menu.
- Select the hard drive you want to scan (i.e. C:\)
- In the Description Field type in a brief description
(i.e. Drive C)
- Click on the Activate This Schedule check box. Click
- Repeat the procedure for the other hard drives or
- Click OK.